Every day we are surrounded by sugar. We consume it in the foods we eat and the beverages we drink. Sugars can wreak havoc on our health and expose us to disease and illness when consumed in excess.
The most common sources of sugar
- Sodas and energy drinks
- Table sugars and candy
- Cookies, cakes and pies
- Fruit drinks and punch
- Ice cream
- Sweetened yogurt
Other forms of sugar
Other forms of include but are not limited to:
- High fructose corn syrup
- Coconut palm sugar
- Maple syrup
- Evaporated cane juice
- Brown rice syrup
- Agave syrup
- Juice concentrates
What does added sugar do to us?
- Excess sugar intake can elevate your cholesterol and increase our body’s insulin intake.
- Sugar increases fat deposition and increases triglycerides, hypertension and blood pressure levels.
- A rise in sugar can make you predisposed to pancreatic cancer cells.
- Bacteria can live in your mouth resulting in tooth decay and gum disease.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
Be sugar wise.
- Read your food and beverage labels. Know what’s going in your body.
- Eliminate sugar drinks.
- Water is your best friend.
- If you want to purchase fruit juice, look for “100% fruit juice” on the label.
- Reduce chocolate and ice cream consumption
- Switch to healthy snacks like almonds, walnuts and cheese
- If you do consume sweets, take them in moderation
Optimum Dental Care in Irvine
Small changes will help your oral health and your overall well-being. At Sedation and Implant Dentistry Irvine, we always try hard to instill the issues of sugar on oral health. Our dental team promotes optimum oral health to patients in Orange County. If you have dental concerns, contact us at (949) 727-0777 or request an appointment online.